Programs at FLREC play a major role in helping Florida's multi-billion dollar-a-year plant industry meet the recreational and environmental demands of Florida residents. Environmentally safe pest management and water conservation practices all directly enhance these industries.
- New ornamental crop development with an emphasis on tropical and subtropical species.
- New sustainable production technologies for ornamental crops. (ie. alternative substrates; water conservation; fertilizer management)
- Investigation and utilization of varied control techniques for pests of ornamental plants.
- Sustainable landscape practices.
- Fulfillment of the needs of South Florida's horticultural and allied industries for a cadre of well-trained professionals.
- Dissemination of the above technologies and information to the public through cooperative extension programs