Dr. H. Dail Laughinghouse
Dr. Laughinghouse is a broadly trained phycologist working with both basic and applied algal research from Tropical to Polar Regions. His background includes systematics, ecology, HABs, cyanotoxins, phycoremediation, biofuels, metagenomics and metatranscriptomics of marine, freshwater and terrestrial environments. Some of the current research in the Laughinghouse Lab focuses on diversity and toxicity of cyanobacteria, environmental influences on macroalgae and microbial photoautotrophs, novel applied uses for algae, bioremediation, and the detection and effects of bioactive compounds. Research on testing different algal treatment methods with the industry is ongoing in the lab where Dr. Laughinghouse uses different approaches, bridging chemistry, genetics, diversity, and environment. The Laughinghouse Lab is always welcome to new ideas and collaborative research
My extension program complements my research program. With data acquired through my research program, I am able to educate the public on what algae exist in Florida, their identification, and best management practices for control. Further, data acquired through my extension program feed into my research program, that I can in turn, use for extension. I provide leadership and expertise for statewide algal issues, verified by consultations around Florida.
I work closely with county agents and regional specialized agents on water quality, algae and their management. We coordinate on my projects, maintain constant contact, and are an essential component in both my extension program areas. The ultimate goal of my program is to identify the algae present in Florida (especially South Florida) to educate the public and suggest best management practices (BMPs) for their growth, control and management.
Currently, my extension program includes:
- David Berthold - Biological Scientist III
- Max Barbosa - Ph.D. Student
- Bethany McClellan - M.S. Student
- Postdoc Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology Research, University of Maryland, Rockville, MD USA
- Postdoc The University Centre in Svalbard, Longyearbyen Norway
- Postdoc Smith College, Northampton, MA USA
- Postdoc Université de Liège, Liège Belgium
- Ph.D. Marine, Estuarine and Environmental Sciences, University of Maryland, College Park, MD USA 2012
- B.S. Biological Sciences, Universidade de Santa Cruz do Sul, Santa Cruz do Sul, RS Brazil 2007