Certificate (Graduate) – Mapping with Unmanned Aerial Systems
This 9-credit Mapping with Unmanned Aerial Systems Graduate Certificate focuses on the emerging area of mapping using small unmanned aerial systems (sUAS). This certificate will enhance the geomatics education of graduate students and working professionals, addressing the needs of industry for individuals competent in the acquisition of high resolution geospatial information. Topics will include foundational knowledge, vehicle and mapping systems operation, and geospatial applications.
UAS Graduate Certificate Requirements
Ideally, students should take the courses in the numerical order below. Course 3 may be taken before Course 1 if necessary, but Course 1 must be taken before Course 2.
Students must earn a grade of B or better in each course for the certificate.
Courses (9 credits total):
- Course 1: SUR6502C Geospatial Modeling (Spring)
Includes field work that must be completed on-campus in Gainesville, Plant City REC, or Ft. Lauderdale REC.
- Course 2: SUR6940C Practicum in UAS (Summer A – first two weeks)
Includes field work that must be completed on-campus in Gainesville.
- Course 3: SUR6377 Geospatial Applications of sUAS (Fall)
On-campus and online course delivery.
Please note that this is not a distance program. The Practicum requires physical attendance and the Geospatial Modeling course requires access to field equipment.
- Students must apply for admission here: https://admissions.ufl.edu/apply/certificates
- Students must earn a grade of B or better in each certificate course
- Students must “apply to complete” their certificate during the last semester of certificate coursework
Credits earned in the certificate program can seamlessly transfer into a Master of Science degree program. Please contact UF FLREC Geomatics Specialist, Adam Benjamin, for more information.