- PhD, Geomatics Concentration, University of Florida, 2014
- Dissertation Title: Assessing the Quality, Suitability and Usability of User Generated Content for Routing Applications
- German Diplom (Equivalent to BS and MS) in Geography, Minors: Urban Planning, Political Science; Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-University Bonn, Germany, 2009
Volunteered Geographic Information, Pedestrian Routing, OpenStreetMap, Location Based Services, Web Mapping
- Zielstra, Dennis Willem Gustave. (2014). “ASSESSING THE QUALITY, SUITABILITY AND USABILITY OF USER GENERATED CONTENT FOR ROUTING APPLICATIONS”. Dissertation, Gainesville, Fla: University of Florida. PDF.
Papers in peer-reviewed journals:
- Neis, P. and Zielstra D. (2014): Recent Developments and Future Trends in Volunteered Geographic Information Research: The Case of OpenStreetMap. Future Internet, 6(1):76-106.
- Neis, P. and Zielstra, D. (2014): Generation of a tailored routing network for disabled people based on collaboratively collected geodata. Applied Geography, 47, 70-77.
- Hochmair, H.H., Zielstra, D., and Neis, P. (accepted). Assessing the Completeness of Bicycle Trail and Designated Lane Features in OpenStreetMap for the United States. Transactions in GIS.
- Zielstra, D., and Hochmair, H. H. (2013). Positional accuracy analysis of Flickr and Panoramio images for selected world regions. Journal of Spatial Science, 58(2), 251-273.
- Neis, P.; Zielstra, D.; Zipf, A. (2013). Comparison of Volunteered Geographic Information Data Contributions and Community Development for Selected World Regions. Future Internet. Volume 5(2), pp. 282-300.
- Zielstra, D., Hochmair, H. H., and Neis, P. (2013). Assessing the Effect of Data Imports on the Completeness of OpenStreetMap – A United States Case Study. Transactions in GIS, Volume 17, Issue 3, 315-334. PDF.
- Zielstra, D., and Hochmair, H. H. (2012). Using free and proprietary data to compare shortest-path lengths for effective pedestrian routing in street networks. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2299, 41-47. PDF
- Neis, P., Zielstra,D. and Zipf, A. (2012). The Street Network Evolution of Crowdsourced Maps – OpenStreetMap in Germany 2007-2011. Future Internet, Volume 4(1), pp. 1-21.
- Zielstra, D. and Hochmair, H. H. (2011). A Comparative Study of Pedestrian Accessibility to Transit Stations Using Free and Proprietary Network Data. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Volume 2117, pp. 145-152. PDF
Full papers in peer-reviewed conference proceedings:
- Hochmair, H.H., and Zielstra, D. (2013). Development and Completeness of Points Of Interest in Free and Proprietary Data Sets: A Florida Case Study. In Jekel, T., A. Car, G. Griesebner and J. Strobl (Eds.), GI_Forum 2013. Creating the GISociety (pp. 39-48). Berlin: Wichmann.
- Hochmair, H. H., Zielstra, D., and Neis, P. (2013). Assessing the Completeness of Bicycle Trails and Designated Lane Features in OpenStreetMap for the United States and Europe. Proceedings of Transportation Research Board – 92nd Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies.
- Hochmair, H.H., and Zielstra, D. (2012). Positional Accuracy of Flickr and Panoramio Images in Europe. In Jekel, T., A. Car, G. Griesebner and J. Strobl (Eds.), GI_Forum 2012: Geovisualization, Society and Learning (pp. 14-23). Berlin: Wichmann. PDF
Short papers in peer-reviewed conference proceedings:
- Zielstra, D. and Zipf, A. (2010). A Comparative Study of Proprietary Geodata and Volunteered Geographic Information for Germany. 13th AGILE International Conference on Geographic Information Science, Guimaraes, Portugal.
- Zielstra, D. and Zipf, A. (2010). Quantitative Studies on the Data Quality of OpenStreetMap in Germany. GIScience 2010 – Sixth International Conference on Geographic Information Science, Zurich, Switzerland.
Articles in non-refereed journals:
- Zielstra, D. and Hochmair, H. (2011): United States Digital Street Data: A Comparison between Free and Proprietary Datasets, GIM International, 25(7), 29-33, Netherlands. (invited publication)
- Hochmair, H. H. and Zielstra, D. (2011). An Introduction to Freely Available Street Network Data (#FOR281). University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences. Available at: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fr343.
- Zielstra, D. and Neis, P. (2014). Where are the US mappers at? Contributor and Data Development in US Urbanized Areas. State of the Map US 2014, Washington D.C., USA. Link
- Zielstra, D., Neis, P. and Hochmair, H. H. (2012). How Beneficial are Data Imports to OpenStreetMap: A U.S. Case Study. State of the Map US 2012, Portland, OR, USA. Link
- Zielstra, D. (2011) Analyzing Accessibility of Transit Stations Using Free and Commercial Geodata, ESRI User Conference, San Diego, CA. PDF
- University of Florida CALS Outstanding International Student Award (2013)
- UF/SFRC Outstanding Geomatics PhD Student (2013)
- Grinter Fellowship Award (2010-2011)