The Fort Lauderdale Research & Education Center welcomes you to our Trial Garden site. The primary purpose of the Trial Garden is to do research as well as support teaching and extension programs. Our goal is to provide unbiased evaluations of bedding plant cultivar performance in South Florida.
Plants are evaluated monthly for plant height, width, flower number, and quality. This data will be posted in this site along with pictures of each culitvar.
- Our Garden
Check out data and photos from our recent Trial Gardens.
Trial Garden 2014
Trial Garden 2012
Field Day Photos
- Field Day March 24, 2005 (569KB pdf)
Trial Garden Photos
- April 2008 Field Day (1Mb pdf)
- April (Field Day) 2008 (1Mb pdf)
- April 2008 Trial Garden (1Mb pdf)
- February 2008 Trial Garden (1Mb pdf)
- January 2008 Trial Garden (1Mb pdf)
- November 2007 Trial Garden (1Mb pdf)
- October 2007 Trial Garden (1Mb pdf)
- September 2007 Trial Garden (447Kb pdf)
- November 2006 Trial Garden (4.41MB pdf)
- September 2006 Trial Garden(909KB pdf)
- February 2006 Trial Garden (929KB pdf)
Due to its unique weather, the Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center Trial Garden can grow spring- and summer-type plants year round. This makes the FLREC Trial Garden the place for companies to learn about how their plants are doing before the summer hits in the rest of the country.
- 26.1 N, 80.2 W
- AHS Heat Zone 11
- USDA Hardiness Zone 10a
- Soil Type: Margate fine sand (1.6% OM, nearly level).
- Soil pH: 6.74; soluble salts = 0.30 mS/cm; NO3-N = 9.00 mg/kg.
- NH4-N: 5.00 mg/kg; P = 27.00 mg/kg; K = 3.7 mg/kg.
- Nematode & Root Insects: Root-knot (Meloidogyne Goeldi), Stubby root (Trichodorus Cobb) and Stunt (Tylenchorhynchus Cobb).